What’s it REALLY like to work at Public-i?
If you follow us on Twitter, you might have noticed lots of tweets recently about the various new roles we’ve got here at Public-i. It’s a really exciting time for us as we get bigger, move into new areas of business and make existing parts of the business even stronger.
I’ve been at Public-i for just over a year now, and in that time we’ve opened a new office in Lancashire; welcomed a whole new Audio-Visual team; our service desk team has doubled (our new apprentice, Grady, started only a couple of weeks ago); we’ve gained project managers, developers and technical staff; our programmes team is twice its original size; and we’ve recently welcomed Kisoran into the sales team. Phew!
And we are still growing.
So, I thought this blog would be a good place to tell you what it’s actually like to work at Public-i.
It would be easy for me to write a blog post telling you all about the attractive remuneration packages, the pension scheme and the holiday allowances. But that’s pretty boring and doesn’t tell you anything about what it’s actually like to work here (you can read about on our current vacancy page if you want).
I could also write a post telling you that working at Public-i is like a fairy tale, a dream, a utopic fantasy… but you’d never buy it. Of course there are days when our brains (and the coffee machine) are working on overdrive. The days which require you to eat your weight in cake (more on that later) and give you a couple of extra grey hairs. Honestly though, the good days working here outweigh the bad a dozen to one and here’s why:
- We enjoy our work. Whilst it can be hard, working here is really rewarding. At the heart of what we do is a genuine desire to increase engagement: be it engagement in NHS decision making or in the democratic processes of local government. Engagement is something we all believe in. So whether it’s through writing code for webcasting, meeting with clients, or managing transformation projects – we all get to contribute to that same goal. Which is kinda cool.
- We’re creative. Not a day goes by without someone covering a wall in post-it notes filled with half-baked thoughts. OK there’s no bean-bags or hammocks (come on, we’re not Google), but we’re given the space to develop ideas to drive the business and our products forward.
- We have super clients – over 100 of them, in fact. From webcasting and audio-visual systems, to coaching and organisational change projects; our clients do some really innovative stuff with our products and services, and we love being a part of that.
- We have two fab offices. The Northern Office is in Rawtenstall (Lancashire) and it’s the base for our technical teams who serve our webcasting and AV clients in the North of England and Scotland. It’s right near Manchester in a lovely converted mill. The Southern office (aka Public-i towers) is where the majority of the team are based. It’s in Hove on the border of Brighton, five minutes’ walk from the beach. It has an amazing view and it’s also opposite a patisserie, which is simultaneously advantageous and disastrous.
- We’re nice! Sure, I would say that but it’s true, I promise. That means there’s always someone to rescue you with a cup of tea when you need it. We actually enjoy spending our free time together, too. We have pot-luck lunches, cake baking contests and pub lunches. Every Friday we down tools at 4pm and share a beer, snacks and watch the finest cat videos YouTube has to offer. Our staff outings are always a laugh and our Christmas parties are the stuff of legends.
So, if you’re in the market for a new challenge, check out our current vacancies here. Also you can find out more about what it’s like working here by following us on Instagram: public.i and Twitter: @Public_i.